In September 1995, designers Cutu Mazuelos and Eva Prego decided to start their own studio, to tell stories from their perspectives and without censorship. Stone Designs began with interior designs, stands and displays, for companies with which they truly feel an affinity. We love how their connection with nature and taste for simplicity pours out when they approach each new project.
We spoke to Cutu of Stone Designs to find out a little more about their inspirations, experiences and recent projects with our big 10 questions…
1. You’ve designed a number of pendant lights for Innermost. Nice one! Which is your favourite design and what inspired you?
My favorite collection for innermost is always the last one!! 😉 but considering the two we have, I think Matrioshka is our favorite. It’s inspired in the traditional Russian dolls and it was a great challenge to find the way of manufacturing the three molds that it needs, offering a great quality but not expensive. Finally Steve and James found the perfect manufacturer in Europe making our dream came true.
2. Who would you invite to your dream designer dinner party? (Let’s call it your ‘innerparty’..)
The hilarious team of innermost!!! Steve, James and why not Russell as well!! hahahahahaha
3. What is your favourite piece of architecture?
No doubt La Alhambra in Granada. The calm and peace you can breath and feel is extraordinary. how the the arabs transformed the water in poetry though the buildings is one of the best examples of how to make architecture.
4. What would you name as the most useful piece of tech? Or alternatively the most pointless..?
I definitely think LED has changed not just the lightning industry, but the whole world of interiors, creating atmospheres that was impossible just a few years ago.
5. If you could take any found object and make it into a lamp, what would it be?
No doubt the moon!!
6. What’s your favourite object from childhood?
My bike. It means freedom and represents all my dreams and wishes. My bike is still the object that makes me more happy.
7. What’s the funniest or weirdest thing a client has ever asked for or said in a meeting?
I can write a book about human stupidity. But recently a Russian client that we were doing a hotel project for him, told me how to make it more “Russian style” telling me as an example; why don’t we hang on the walls some Kalashnikofvs or AK47!!! That will be definitely very “Russian Style”
8. At innermost we are big fans of the Negroni.. What’s your favourite cocktail?
San francisco, why? Because I don’t drink alcohol but I love that shit.
9. What’s the last thing you designed?
Recently, we are doing two beautiful sculptures for a super iconic places in Tokyo. It is a project that really make us feel super proud for choosing us for such and amazing project.
10. If you could choose your teachers at Fantasy College – who would you choose to be taught by?
The Eames, Eero Saarinen and Castiglioni.
Thanks for your hilarious answers Cutu! Find out what else Stone Designs have been up to here.